Art by Chantal Taylor
- An octodragon (part octopus and part dragon) named Taco
- He’s a hero that saves people from evil
- He wears a cape that is blue when in water, black when out of water, and glows when he wants it to
- He has blue hair, black scales, and his eyes are ocean blue
- He is completely honest and NEVER lies
- He wears air Jordans on all eight tentacles
- He lives in a dark cave with a whirlpool he likes to play in
- He’s good in and out of water
- He codes on his computer named Fred who is his only friend)
- He plays checkers with Fred
- He has a sense of humour, except when he’s stressed
- A place called The Wonderful Land
- There are chocolate caramel forests, volcanoes everywhere, and many deserts
- The sky is red and black
- The buildings fall apart from the lava in the volcanos
- It rains frosted foods like lasagna and pizza, and rains candy in the springtime
- The roads are made out of popcorn (not to be mistaken with the fairy eyes)
- Clouds are made of pizza
- Rainbows drop popsicles in the summer
- In the fall, the leaves fall down and they make you happy if you touch them
- Aliens, lava mermaids, whales, and cheetahs with red eyes and sharp teeth live in the volcanoes
- Skinny yaks live in the deserts
- There are phoenix birds with three eyes who can turn invisible, and will bite you if you sit in their chairs (they hate sharing)
- Magical angels with healing powers live in the sky
- Unicorns live in the desert and help lost travelers
- There are fairies with popcorn eyes, and people try to eat the popcorn because it will make you fly
- Exactly 3 pink tigers per region (desert, volcano, sky) that have lots of fruit to share with everyone
- RJ happens to live there, and throws pizza at people
- Rogisha also lives there, and is the queen of kindness, and will stuff marshmallows into your mouth if you say bad things (she has excellent hearing)
- Also, Ali is the boss of the cheetahs, and helps them run fast
- Mirjam controls the candy in the land
- The unicorns fly people into the sky, in order to feed people marshmallows
Taco Defeats the Cheetahs
Once upon a time on a day in April, there was an Octodragon named Taco who lived in the Wonderful Land. An Octodragon is a very strong half octopus and half dragon who can fly and also be under water. Taco wore a cape that was black out of water and turned blue when he was submerged in water, and it glowed when he wanted it to. His scales were black and he had vibrant, ocean blue eyes. He lived in a dark cave with his best friend Fred, the computer who he plays checkers with.
On Taco Tuesday in Wonderful Land, Taco was devouring many tacos when all of a sudden he saw the Taco Signal go off. The Taco Signal was a light in the sky shaped like a taco with a T in it, which indicated that the people of the Wonderful Land were in danger! He crammed 20 tacos in his mouth in a hurry then flew into the sky, his cape billowing behind him. Taco had an earpiece that allowed him to stay in touch with his sidekick friend Fred, who was very clever with missions.
Taco met with Rogisha, the Queen of Kindness, who lived in the sky with three Pink Tigers. The Queen of Kindness prevented people from telling lies by magically stuffing their mouths with marshmallows. Rogisha was the one that set off the Taco Signal because someone has stolen her marshmallows. As a result, all of the creatures of Wonderful Land were telling many lies and saying mean things, so she had to get the marshmallows back.
A boy named Ali was the boss of the cheetahs. The cheetahs had big, red eyes and very sharp teeth. On Tuesday, the cheetahs rebelled against Ali and stole the marshmallows against his will. The cheetahs then formed a gang because they were tired of everyone being so nice to each other.
Fred used his global positioning system to locate the cheetahs. He found them in underneath the lava in the biggest volcano, in an exquisite bedroom where the cheetahs slept. Fred told Taco where the cheetahs were, so Taco sped toward the volcano to retrieve the magical marshmallows…
Art by Chris Green
- 9 year old, rainbow coloured long-neck dinosaur named Riley
- She has a long, grey beard and wears her hair in little green braids
- She has wings on her belly and has to fly upside down as a result
- She wears black rocket shoes that have wings on them and an entirely green outfit
- She’s very smart and witty
- She eats a lot, so she has a bit of a belly but that’s okay
- Lives in a fake volcano that is basically a hollowed out mountain, which is also her secret hideout
- She sleeps on rocks and nothing else
- She has seven brothers and sisters who live in Cleveland
- She’s bitter because a really skinny dragon named Kyler stole one of her jewels, which can shoot lasers it could shoot lasers
- A moon called Third Moon, located in the Milky Way in the year 5018, 3000 years in the future
- The moon is very hilly (nothing is flat), and there are lakes of lava, and the sky is green
- There is no oxygen, so all its inhabitants breathe through a tube connected to the ground
- The weather is donkeys because it rains tiny donkeys
- It is always hot – even the wind is hot!
- However the queen, named Queen Strawberry, can make it snow by eating strawberries
- The donkeys sing and dance and are always happy (it’s kind of annoying) but the heat threatens their happiness
- On the moon live: flyions (lions that can fly), dinosaurs with tiger faces, aliens with eyes and mouths on the top of their heads (they have to lean over to talk to you), and cows that spray milk as a means of self-defence (ya know, as cows do)
- The dinosaurs with the tiger faces protect the lava, but if they are distracted earthquakes can happen
- There’s a wizard name Dr. Zuc, and he wants to stop the queen from eating strawberries because he hates the snow
In the future, some time around 5018, there lived a nine-year-old dinosaur named Riley. She was a rainbow coloured, long-necked dinosaur with an even longer grey beard – so long, in fact, that it went all the way down to her feet. She was very smart and very witty. Riley lived on a very hot moon called Third Moon, somewhere in the Milky Way, inside a fake volcano where she slept on igneous rock. All the other buildings on this moon had no vacancy, plus the volcano had great security benefits, so it helped keep bad guys away.
There was a pool of hot lava beside her fake volcano, as there were plenty of real volcanoes on Third Moon. Other dinosaurs with tiger faces were guarding said lava, because if they got distracted, earthquakes would somehow occur. To stop this from happening, they drank all the lava for the sake of the other civilians.
Annoyingly happy donkeys, Queen Strawberry, and Dr. Zuc also lived on Third Moon. Queen Strawberry had the ability to cool everything down by eating strawberries, however, Dr. Zuc wanted to stop her. He loved lava, to a worrying degree.
Soon, however, the tiger-faced dinosaurs fell ill. As it turns out, consuming large amounts of lava wasn’t healthy, and could lead to a nasty case of heartburn. Riley offered to house some of the extra lava inside her fake volcano. However, now Riley was temporarily without a home. Off she went in search of new real estate, and Dr. Zuc saw his chance to steal the strawberries that gave the queen her cooling powers. As a result, lava covered all of Third Moon, and everyone who lived there was in grave danger! If nothing was done to stop it, lava surely would spill into all of outer space!
Riley soon found out that Third Moon was in peril, and rushed to the rescue. But, it wasn’t so simple. Dr. Zuc’s lair was a cloud dome with lava floating in the sky all around it, acting as a shield. It was also protected by cows that were able to spray milk on command, and creepy blue aliens with faces on the tops of their heads. They carried laser beamers with them at all times, and the milk was curdled and gross. On top of all that, Riley had a lactose allergy, but she knew she had to get inside Dr. Zuc’s lair…
Art by Chris Green
- She used to be a human girl, but transformed into an alien named Scareckila (pronounced SCARE – SKILLA)
- She was kidnapped and taken away from her family at a very young age
- In human years she’s 8 years old, but in alien years she’s 89 years old
- Has an oval body that is half green and half black, and her green skin glows in the dark
- Has a circular head, two antennas, four Shrek-like ears, fthree arms, two faces with eight eyes between them, and two mouths that are full of sharp teeth and two tongues in each mouth
- She four hairy legs and two toes on each foot
- Is 6’5” tall
- She grunts when she speaks
- She can camouflage herself
- She’s scared of humans and dogs
- She’s kind
- She’s sad and writes letters to humans so she can makes friends with them so they won’t be scared of her
- However, if she touches a human, they turn into an alien
- There’s a legend that she eats people, but it’s not true!
- There’s a king and alien army in her home planet
- She likes to play pranks and has a great sense of humour
- A planet called Rocket Planet where everything is edible
- There are lots of provinces and towns and blue rivers
- One of the towns is occupied with only red-haired people
- There are many abandoned houses, and one of them is haunted
- Another town is called Rainbow Land Town, where cotton candy trees grow
- Another town is made entirely out of chicken
- Famous Province is a place where people move when they become famous
- There’s a secret town that contains a secret stone
- Everyone on the planet is rich but they still wear fake Rolex watches
- There’s an amusement park called Juno and a National Park with many bunnies that have 8 legs and antlers
- In the towns are statues of aliens that poop candy
- Clothing is edible and made of chocolate, and are customized with special markers
- There’s a restaurant called Foody Tooty that serves WHATEVER you want for FREE
- All your wishes can come true on Rocket Planet
- The life expectancy is 2 million years because it’s AWESOME
- Even when aliens pass on, they are reincarnated and live for ANOTHER 2 million years
- The best cars are silver and can fly up to the clouds, and the clouds are fun to jump on
- They have a special holiday called Flower Mash Up where the aliens wear flowers on their clothes to honour people that have passed on
Is Your Life a Lie?
Once upon a time, there was an alien named Scareckila, who had once been a human girl. She was abducted from earth and taken to Rocket Planet by aliens when she was only two years old. They brought her to an abandoned house on Rocket Planet where there was a magical stone. The aliens made her touch the stone, and she immediately turned into the scariest looking alien that they had ever seen on Rocket Planet!
As an alien, Scareckila was a hairy round beast that was 6’5” tall. She had two terrifying faces, and each face had four eyes, two mouths, two tongues in each mouth, sharp teeth, four ears, and two long antenna. She had an oval shaped body that was green on the right side black on the left side, and her green skin glowed in the dark. She had four hairy legs with two toes on each of her four feet, and three arms with the third one coming from her chest! Her body was also very slimy.
Regardless of her scary appearance, she was a very kind alien. She loved to play pranks and have a good laugh!
She had been abducted because she had been the prettiest baby on earth. The aliens of Rocket Planet wanted her to be one of them because they thought she was going to be the most beautiful alien on Rocket Planet, and they could not have babies of their own because Rocket Planet aliens fall from the sky when they are “born”. They desperately wanted a little baby to cuddle and raise as their own, so they plotted and stole the most beautiful baby on earth. Little did they know that their magical stone would turn her into the scariest looking alien in the universe!
When she was eight years old, Scareckila went back to the abandoned house she had been brought to six years ago to find the magic stone. She had always felt like there was something missing from her life and thought the stone might give her answers.
She approached the door of the house and entered. Inside, it was full of spider webs and it felt like there were many eyes on her. She almost stepped on some cockroaches and had to bite back a scream. Every time she took a step, the floor creaked louder and louder.
Scareckila walked down a creepy hallway and entered into a room that, strangely, looked brand new. And there, in the centre of the room, was a glass case on a table, and inside was the magic stone!
She approached the table, but the door slammed suddenly behind her. She turned around at the noise, startled, and the lights began to flicker. Then, the stone began to glow, and then all at once, projected a hologram of that showed Scareckila what her life was before Rocket Planet and her abduction. She saw herself as a little, beautiful baby being loved by her human parents, and she saw the aliens come from Rocket Planet, take her away, and make her touch the magic stone which had forever changed her appearance.
Scareckila stared in shock.
My whole life has been a lie… she thought to herself in horror.
Art by Chris Green
- An alien named Cupcake Green Queen with an alien code, 9245
- She has pineapple arms, rainbow dreads, a butt chin, and a circular blob body that is multicoloured like a layer cake
- She has three eyes, the middle one being the biggest and the other two half its size, and she can add eyes to her face whenever she wants
- She wears a mask and a helmet
- Is a psychic
- Has transformative powers:
- Can transform into other things
- Can also split into a million little versions of herself and become one again
- When she splits into a million selves, her rainbow dreads turns light blue
- She plays PS4, basketball, and tennis (but specifically with an alien tennis ball)
- Loves chicken
- Poops out cupcakes
- She has a temper and screams when angry
- She is a dancer – specifically the electro shuffle
- She is afraid of pandas, vegetables, and herself
- When she looks into a mirror she gets scared
- Planet Blob
- Made out of cheese, but every year the substance of the planet changes; its entirely edible
- There are cheese animals and aliens made out of chicken wings, and unicorns who eat sprinkles
- When the wind is strong, chicken wings fly around
- Sometimes it rains slime, other times cheese curds, other times baby powder
- Cupcake Green Queen is from a place called Hidden Leaf Village
- Hidden Leaf Village is the most technologically advanced place in the world, as a comet hit the planet and brought syranium with it, an incredible metal they use in their technology
- The aliens drive hover cars and ride around on cheese bicycles
- They like to play foosball and slim-O wrestling where they must belly flop onto their opponent in order to win
- Storian Wrestling is the official sport; the aliens shrink themselves to fit into tiny robots that then battle each other
- Another popular pastime is gummy and sock dolphin training and racing
- Some buildings are made out of cheese and chicken wings
- Other buildings are built out of syranium, and when hit by objects, tiny temporary black holes are formed
- The most popular restaurant is called Joe Joe’s and everyone goes there to celebrate birthdays
- There is a Nacho cheese volcano located on the Snobby Shores of Candy Ocean
- Gummy dolphins and sock dolphins live in Candy Ocean
- Some aliens have pet dolphins with wings who protect them from the flying chicken wings on windy days
- Candy ocean is near the village
- There is a giant cheese monster called Pain & a goo monster with three eyes and three heads
- The alien army defends Hidden Leaf Village with chicken wing weapons that allow them to bury their enemies in chicken wings
- The most important day of year is Chicken Day, and everyone comes to the planet to celebrate
- Chocolate dolphins from other planets also come to visit their dolphin friends
The Story of Planet Blob
Once upon a time there was a land filled with dolphins and chicken wings on a planet called Blob. On this planet, the weather was quite unpredictable, as on really windy days chicken wings would blow across the planet, hitting buildings and anyone unfortunate enough to be in their path.
The aliens who lived on this planet spoke to their leader because they wanted to do something about the crazy weather and the terrible cheese monster, named Pain. Both were threatening their home, The Hidden Leaf Village.
The leader of The Hidden Leaf Village was an alien named Cupcake Green Queen. Cupcake Green Queen loved to dance! Whenever she won a battle or an argument, she’d do the electric shuffle. She had a blob body, rainbow dreads, pineapple arms, three eyes with a big one in the middle of her face, and could split apart into a million little Cupcake Green Queens at will.
However, Cupcake Green Queen had a secret: she feared herself! Without saying why, she made every alien in the village throw out all their mirrors into space, because she got scared every time she looked into a mirror and saw herself.
She also had another secret! Pain the cheese monster was her brother, and he controlled the bad weather on Planet Blob. She knew she had to defeat him, but naturally felt conflicted about it, because Pain was brother.
But what had happened between them all those years ago…? Well, Cupcake Green Queen had kicked Pain out of the Hidden Leaf Village because he was being mean to the other aliens. He was jealous of Cupcake Green Queen because he wanted to be the ruler of the Hidden Leaf Village, which is why he was so mean to everyone (he had trouble working out his issues and took it out on others). The last straw for Cupcake Green Queen was when Pain set her mattress on fire in a fit of jealousy. She’d had it! He had to leave the village, and he was banished to the Nacho Cheese Volcano located on the Snobby Shores of the Candy Ocean.
Pain left the village in a rage, and in his emotional state, he turned into cheese out of pure envy!
However, Pain knew his sister’s secret, that she was afraid of her own image, so he gathered the mirrors she made the village throw away and made a suit of armour out of them. He snuck back into the Hidden Leaf Village and confronted Cupcake, and upon seeing herself reflected in his armour, she fainted and did not regain consciousness for two hours…
We are accepting intern applications for students starting placements in September, 2018! If you’re interested in doing an internship/student placement with us, please read through the details below.
Story Planet Intern Qualifications:
- You must have excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- You are passionate about literacy, the arts, and education
- You love working with children and youth
- You are committed to social justice
- You are highly motivated, responsible, and work well independently
- You are a self-starter and can take initiative
You should apply to be an intern with us if any of the following apply:
- You are currently enrolled in a post secondary institution that requires you fulfill specific placement hours
- You are interested in program design and development for children and youth
- You are interested in learning more about arts-based education
- You are interested in workshop facilitation
- You are are interested in the non-profit/charitable sector
- You want to gain grant-writing experience
- You want to gain experience in marketing and social media for a non-profit organization
Story Planet Intern Duties:
These may be subject to change, depending on your program and main areas of interest.
- Attend Story Planet workshops in schools across GTA for grades 1 – 12
- Work one-on-one with students to help them improve communication skills
- Collaborate with Program Director to design and run activities for after-school programming
- Provide students with mentorship and support during both workshops and after school programming
- Provide administrative support to Program Director and Director of Operations
- Help create content for Story Planet’s social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, newsletters)
- Help with production of Story Planet books for students
- Provide grant-writing support to Executive Director and Director of Operations
Current and Past Educational Partnerships:
- Centennial College
- George Brown College
- Humber College
- Sheridan College
- University of Toronto
- York University
How to Apply:
Want to intern with us? Send your resume and a cover letter detailing why you want to intern at Story Planet and what makes you a good fit to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please make your email subject line “Intern Application for Story Planet: YOUR NAME”.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
The Silent Forest Jungle
On this planet, there is a place called the Silent Forest Jungle, because it is completely silent. Tall, smooth-trunked, bright orange trees stretch into the sky and shade the forest ground which mysteriously rumbles. The trees bear no fruit, but the bark and leaves taste like sweet and citrusy, like oranges. It is incredibly cold here – minus 100 degrees Celsius! – and wet, because thunderstorms drench the jungle every day. Yet every animal imaginable lives here, despite the cold and horrible smell of rotten eggs that fills the forest air. This strange forest is special, though, as it is guarded by birds who fly above it, and protect it from strangers who might harm it.
The Creepy Lost Forest Jungle
On this planet there is another strange forest, and it is called the Creepy Lost Forest Jungle, for anyone who enters becomes lost in it. Unlike the Silent Forest Jungle, this forest is incredibly hot during the day, with a giant blazing sun that beats down on it. Yet at night, when the sun sets, it becomes very cold, and the deeper you go into the jungle, the colder it becomes. Giant dinosaurs and dangerous wild animals stalk these woods, and the air is often filled with the sounds of crying dinosaur babies as they hatch, the squeaking of bunnies, and the rustling of leaves. The trees themselves are brightly coloured – some are entirely orange, and others have orange trunks and multi-coloured leaves that shine in the bright sun. Giant vines hang from the tree limbs, and snakes that camouflage themselves slither through the jungle. If you were to make your way through the deep, dark jungle, however, you would find an ocean in the centre of it. The closer you get, the louder the sound of the ocean waves becomes. In this jungle, it rains constantly, which does nothing to help the smell of rotting dinosaur eggs from their abandoned nests.
Crystal Cheese Palace
From far away, this undiscovered planet looks like a diamond, and it sparkles. As you get closer, you can see that there are crystals on the ground, very, very tiny crystals that fall through the air like a light rain and tickle when they touch your skin. Even closer, you can see buildings with lights on clustered in an area that is made entirely of orange cheese – so of course it smells like cheese too. This town is called the Crystal Cheese Palace. Even the dirt on the ground is crumbled cheese, and the many animals that live here snack on their surroundings, because it’s all delicious cheese! Beautiful purple and pink flowers also surround the place, and trees blow in the strong winds. When the winds come, they bring the smell of fresh air. You can also hear hummingbird wings beating rapidly – the entire place is abuzz with life.
Artwork by Josh Rosen
The Adventures of Jonathon & Irene
Once upon a time on planet Buc Ve, there was a two-headed alien named Jonathon and Irene. They were picking flowers in a special garden on their home planet. Buc Ve was very colourful, and had special plants that everyone in the galaxy wanted. These plants were not only beautiful, but also retained magical powers. Jonathon and Irene started to walk back home and ran into a three-headed alien from planet Bong. At first, Jonathon and Irene were scared because the Bonganians were known to want the special flowers growing on planet Buc Ve. Jonathon and Irene tried to introduce themselves to this new alien, even though they were a bit nervous. The Bonganian continued to be mean to them. Irene and Jonathon realized that they had to protect their family from these aliens. It was their job to protect their family above all else. Irene and Jonathon decided that they had to leave the planet to discover new technology to protect their family…
This is chapter 1 of a 4 chapter story – each student in the class wrote the remaining 3 chapters.
Artwork by Giovanna Galuppo
Jennifer & Jacob
A Script by the Talented Writers of the Monsignor Fraser SWAC Program
Cast of Characters
Jennifer: 20 year old woman. She is Mexican. She has bleached blonde hair, is a student and works part-time as a bartender/server at a Toronto restaurant. She is gay, and also afraid of spiders.
Jacob: 21 year old man. He is Colombian. He is 6 “2, has dark hair, and thick eyebrows. He is a graphic designer and photographer. He is a great listener and very empathetic. He is best friends with Jennifer. They met while Jennifer was serving. Jacob gave her a really great tip, they exchanged numbers, and became friends. Jacob is in love with Jennifer, but knows that they can never be together because Jennifer is a lesbian. Jacob has always found her very attractive, but has realized that she does not feel the same way. Jacob is a great listener and very empathetic, and has been there to help Jennifer as she discovers more about herself.
Ashley: Jennifer’s girlfriend. They met at a party in highschool and have been dating for 3 years. She is very clingy and needy. Ashley doesn’t like Jacob because she has a sense that he has feelings for Jennifer.
[6:30pm. October 31, Halloween. Funnel cake area at Canada’s Wonderland. People are wandering around, and there is music playing. People are yelling in the background. Jennifer and Jacob sit at a table, sharing a funnel cake. It is a chilly evening, and they are both wearing thick knit sweaters.]
JENNIFER: I got two tickets to the Drake concert!
JACOB: No way! When is it?
JENNIFER: It’s, um, in two weeks.
JACOB: Wow! That’s going to be awesome! I can’t wait! Where are the seats?
JENNIFER: They’re front row! But I never said I was taking you.[A person in a Dracula costume scares the two of them, distracting Jennifer.]
JACOB: Damn, you scared me! …Ohh, alright.
JENNIFER: [laughs, and says excitedly] We have backstage passes too!
JACOB: Backstage passes to see Drake? That’s awesome!
JENNIFER: Yeah, I know!
JACOB: Who are you taking?
JENNIFER: You know I’m taking Ashley, my girlfriend.
JACOB: Say word, mierda, you’re taking Ashley?!
JENNIFER: Unfortunately, but this is the truth.
JACOB: You’re taking your girlfriend? Huh. [Under his breath] I’m like your best friend.
JENNIFER: Jacob, it’s her birthday, and I want to surprise her with the tickets.
JACOB: You’re actually taking her? That sucks.
JENNIFER: Why are you mad?
JACOB: I’m happy that you’re taking her, but I’m kind of upset… I wanted to do something like this together.
JENNIFER: You can buy nosebleed seats…[Awkward silence. There is a scream in the background.]
JACOB: Tesoro, it’s Drake! Tickets are like 200 bucks! This sucks, dude.
JENNIFER: I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you.
JACOB: I mean, I guess. I mean, I can’t blame Ashley, she’s your girlfriend.
JENNIFER: Yeah, Jacob. Thanks for understanding the situation.
JACOB: Maybe we should kill her.[Jacob laughs, but Jennifer grows angry.]
JENNIFER: This is serious, Jacob, it’s her birthday!
JACOB: But she always chooses her friends over you!
JENNIFER: We’re at a good place right now. I mean, we could sneak you in maybe?
JACOB: [raising his voice a little, being passive-aggressive] Man, I’m like 6’2”!
To be continued…
Our ever popular Alien Has Landed event is happening at Artscape Wychwood Barns on March 24th, 11 AM! Bring the whole family and help us figure out the mystery of who has landed and why.
Story Planet will run a 3-day story-writing workshop with a grade 5 class, at Valleyfield Public School on April 16th. Our awesome lead artist, Josh Rosen, will illustrate the story and show the students how to draw the alien, step-by-step.
From one of our last Alien Has Landed at Gracefield Public School!
We are indebted to our wonderful workshop volunteers, who braved the cold crash site for four hours, and spent even more time working one-on-one with students to help them craft a totally original, totally awesome story!
We are also so grateful to all our amazing volunteers, without whom Alien Has Landed could not have been a success. Our team of engineers and tech wizards designed and built a spaceship that truly awed everyone, children and adults both! We cannot thank them enough for all their tireless work. They made this spaceship crash a magical experience that 500 young students are going to remember for years to come!
We are so excited to launch this program again in spring 2018 (when it’s hopefully a little warmer, too!).