Like many of you, we’ve been experiencing shock, pain, anger, and grief. We’ve needed to talk, to think, to reach out, and to look inwards. We’ve read and listened to others, and have been inspired by the growing global commitment to change the systems of oppression.
This is what we believe and are committed to:
We understand that acts of racism and violence against the Black community are rampant and perpetuated through systemic oppression, which we have witnessed within our schools and communities. We also understand that systemic oppression is perpetuated through silence. Story Planet unequivocally advocates for justice and equity in all moments and situations in life.
We are a team from diverse cultural backgrounds which knows that racism is not just rampant in the United States but here in Canada to a degree that is equally systemic and devastating. We stand in solidarity with the freedom fighters who demand for the conviction of all four officers who murdered George Floyd. We demand justice for Regis Korchinksi-Paquet. We demand justice, dignity, and respect for all Black and Indigenous lives—both those that have been lost, and those that are still here, fighting to overturn these systems of white supremacy. We support the calls to dismantle and defund the criminal justice system, specifically police and prison institutions, as they currently stand. We also support the redistribution of police funds to community organizations who are working in health, education, and legal services, to eliminate deep societal inequities.
If you are able to donate to support this urgent cause, here is a list of organizations that would benefit greatly from your financial support:
Story Planet believes in action, and we are committing to doing the following individually, and as an organization:
- To stand up to and confront acts of racism both conscious and unconscious by preparing ourselves with words and concrete actions and committing to speaking out.
- To better respond to acts of racism and inequity we see in schools and in the stories we see and tell.
- To continue helping children tell and share their stories.
- To continue prioritizing our work in neighbourhoods that are most vulnerable to these inequities.
- To help children see the value of themselves and their lived experiences.
- To continue conversations, build, and share resources internally that allow us to: support those in pain, confront our own privilege and biases, educate ourselves on racism and white supremacy, and use these reflections to inform all of our work with young people.
- To work with other organizations and groups to dismantle systems of oppression and serve those in need.
- To investigate how to combat systemic inequality in the education system and advocate for deep changes.
- To reflect on the story structures children are taught that implicitly and explicitly maintain systems of power, how Story Planet is a part of that, and how we can shift that paradigm.
- To stand up to and confront acts of transphobia, ableism, misogyny, and to understand their intersections with all of the above.
In solidarity, as always,