Writing is a great way of expressing what is in your heart. Little minds have plenty of imagination and thoughts going on in their minds, but they don’t know how to talk about it always, especially if they are going through something traumatic.
Below are 5 ways in which you can encourage your child to write, and Story Planet available in our Alien Art Market which can help you do so :
- Encourage your child to write a journal every day and reward them with a treat to keep them motivated. Let them pick their journal book and a special pen to write. When it comes to writing, children can get bored easily, so including fun stuff can motivate them – like our Character Zine!
2. Inspire them to write stories. Sometimes kids portray themselves through their story characters or express their feelings through the story they are writing. There is plenty of free story writing worksheets available on the internet that you can download and print. These worksheets make it easy to form a story.
3. Be their role model. If you write a journal every day, your child will follow you and do the same.
4. Fun crafts and games that involve writing. For instance, you could create a fun DIY papercraft box for 3 emotions, “happy,” “sad”, and “angry.” Then you could put a notepad beside the boxes and tell your child to write about their feelings whenever they are going through any of the difficult emotions and then put the paper in the appropriate box. Our Flash Card Fiction game is in the making and will be sure to get kids thinking!
5. Turn your child’s writing into books. This can be very exciting for your child and it will give your child a sense of accomplishment and will improve their self-esteem. You could compile all of your child’s writings into a book every year and create an amazing cover every time. This way you can find all the stories in one place and you won’t lose them.